Application now open for the 2016 LSSI-Amgen Teacher Program.
Program dates: July 6-14, 2016 at San Diego Miramar College
Deadline to apply: April 15, 2016
Key Program Features:
- $500 one-time stipend for implementation of one or more labs in a classroom located within San Diego County during the 2016-2017 academic school year. Teachers may use of the following LSSI-Amgen Distribution Centers: San Diego Miramar College, Mira Costa College, or Mt. San Jacinto College.
- Option to purchase continuing education units from Cal State San Marcos Extended
- Visit biotechnology companies and interact with science professionals.
- Receive on-going support for curriculum implementation, including loaner equipment and supplies.
- Learn first-hand biotech techniques that are being used by scientists in the field of biotechnology using the Amgen Biotech Experience (A.B.E.) Curriculum (amgenbiotechexperience.com).
- Must be teaching lab-based courses in the biological, chemical, or physical sciences at a public or private high school or community college within San Diego County.
- Must be able to provide their own transportation each day of the program.
- Must agree to implement new A.B.E curriculum in their classroom during the approaching school year and in subsequent years with the support of supplies, equipment, and program staff from Southern California Biotechnology Center.
LSSI “Whodunit” Introductory Workshop
Saturday, January 23, 2016
Hosted at Miracosta College
RSVP by Email: Biotech@workforce.org
Receive training on Amgen Biotech Experience (ABE) Lab 1 with a forensic science focus. The “Whodunit” Workshop is for new science teachers looking to expand their curriculum to hands-on biotechnology techniques.
ABE Lab 1 focuses on micropipetting and gel electrophoresis. An overview of the lab series will be provided as well as information on the full ABE professional development institute to be held summer 2016. Save the date: July 6-14, 2016
- Hands-on training
- Access to loaner equipment and free supplies
- Priority acceptance to summer PD program
For more information, please contact:
Erika, Project Coordinator
LSSI Alumni Workshop and NGSS Discussion
Saturday, December 5, 2015 at San Diego Workforce Partnership
To register, email: Biotech@workforce.org
The Amgen Program Office will be in California conducting focus groups that will help them gain insight about teacher’s knowledge and implementation of the NGSS as well as what resources will be helpful to them. The San Diego site was selected as a target audience and we will be hosting this session at San Diego Workforce Partnership’s office.
A $25 gift card will be provided for your participation and feedback. Lunch will also be provided.
LSSI “Whodunit” Introductory Workshop
Saturday, January 23, 2016 at Miracosta College
Receive training on ABE lab 1 with a forensic twist. The Who Done it Workshop is for new teachers looking to expand their science curriculum to hands-on biotechnology techniques. Lab 1 focuses on micropipetting and gel electrophoresis. An overview of the lab series will be provided as well as information on the full ABE professional development institute held during the summer.
LSSI Alumni Workshop
Saturday, January 30, 2016
Come and meet with past LSSI alumni teachers and receive an overview of the Amgen Biotech Experience labs 1-6. Lunch will be provided.
Calbiotechcareers supports industry responsive regional training by CA Community Colleges. College programs provide hands-on training to prepare entry-level, work-ready trainees with in-demand skills. Besides this ‘know-how,’ training provides the ‘know-why’ so that trained individuals can adapt to a dynamic industry.
Visit: CalBiotechCareers.org to discover resources for job seekers and employers in need of a trained workforce.
On Saturday, January 11th the Life Sciences Summer Institute (LSSI) team held their 1st Forensic workshop on the year. Twelve teachers attended the training at San Diego Miramar College and received hands-on training on the “Who Done It” lab and introduction to the Amgen Biotech Experience.
If you haven’t had a chance to attend, the next training is: Saturday, February 22, 2014 9-12pm.
To reserve a spot, email Erika, email@example.com
Quotes from Teacher Participants:
“Excellent job. Loved being able to “do” the lab and appreciate the food and relaxed atmosphere! Thank you!”
-Teacher at The Rock Academy
“I am a chemistry teacher usually now teaching a Forensic class with limited bio gel running experience so this was great! Thank you for letting us make the gel. I know I can do this in my class.”
-Teacher at Eastlake High School